Evanston Theft Crime Attorney
Searching for a lawyer for theft crime defense in Cook County?
Theft crimes occur when an individual steals or takes something from another person without their consent. At Pfeifer & Pfeifer, Attorneys at Law, we are here to provide you with aggressive and skilled representation for any theft, shoplifting, forgery, burglary, or credit card fraud crime that you have been charged with. You can count on us for the representation that you need.
There are many different types of theft crime including the following among others:
Retail theft cases also require special attention. Retail theft is what we commonly refer to as shoplifting, or stealing from a store or merchant. Illinois law permits retailers to pursue civil penalties against a person who is accused of retail theft or shoplifting. That means having to pay up to $1,000 to the merchant in addition to dealing with the retail theft case in court.
Penalties for Theft in Illinois
The severity of one’s sentence for theft, after being convicted of it by a court of law, essentially boils down to the dollar value of the property allegedly stolen.
It can be broken down as follows:
- Less than $500: Misdemeanor, up to 1 year in jail, up to $2,500 in fines
- Theft of a school, place of worship, or of government property can yield 1-3 years in prison and up to $25,000 in fines, and a Class 4 felony
- $500-$10,000: Class 3 felony, 2-5 years in prison, and up to $25,000 in fines
- $10,000-$100,000: Class 2 felony, 3-7 years in jail, up to $25,000 in fines
- $100,000-$500,000: Class 1 felony, 4-17 years in jail, up to $25,000 in fines
- $500,000-$1,000,000: Class 1 non-probational felony, 4-15 years in jail, up to $25,000 in fines
- Over $1,000,000: Class X felony, 6-30 years in prison, up to $25,000 in fines
Pfeifer & Pfeifer, Attorneys at Law has experience in handling retail theft cases, so we can get you the outcome you are looking for in a cost-effective manner. If you are charged with retail theft and currently have a clean criminal record, we will discuss plea bargaining options with you that will allow you to keep your record clean.
How We Will Approach Your Case
Our firm believes in providing you with personalized service, taking the time to sit one on one with you and obtain all the necessary information from you as regards your case. We have a successful track record in defending the legal rights of individuals suspected of committing theft crimes in the greater Evanston and Skokie area for over 30 years.
Besides providing a skillful defense strategy, we pride ourselves in giving good advice to our clients and always looking out for your best interests. We always keep in good communication with our clients.
Contact our defense firm in Cook County for the representation you need!